This gallery features photos and articles on Church Road, Carndonagh, through the 20th century, with images of the Carndonagh Cross, the Technical School, Thompson’s Bridge, and local families.
The location of Bridge Cottage , 1900, the home of John Norris Thompson.
The view upriver from the bridge, including the old chapel, in the Lawrence Collection.
An early postcard featuring Church Road, Carndonagh, C. 1940. The old church would be demolished in 1945.
A coloured postcard offering a view of Church Road, with the new chapel clearly visible atop the hill, and the Carndonagh Cross in its original location.
Another postcard featuring a view of the town from Church Road, c. 1950.
A snow-covered Church road in the late 1980s or early 1990s.
Three local lads near the Carndonagh Motor Company.
Church Road in the 1833 and 1900 OS maps.
Brian Mc Laughlin's piece on the proposed plan to move the Carndonagh Cross to Leitrim temporarily for remedial work, and memories of people and snowball fights in the area, featured in the Irish Times on Tuesday, March 31, 1998.
The road leading towards Churchtown, c. 1920s.
Fr. Mc Kenna's Introduction to Carndonagh Community School (1/3)
Fr. Mc Kenna's Introduction to Carndonagh Community School (2/3)
Fr. Mc Kenna's Introduction to Carndonagh Community School (3/3)
The Doherty (Glackin) Family, enjoying a bright day at home on Church Road.
A gathering of Dohertys (Glackins) and friends, at their home on Church Road.
The Quinn Family outside the gatehouse at Bridge Cottage on Church Road, 1926.
A view of Gort Lane, which runs adjacent to the river, 1990s.
Members of the Harkin Family at the steps below the bridge, c. 1950.
Hopefield. The building behind was a station of work for the Tillie and Henderson's shirt factory.
The parochial house with Rev. Fr. Bonner, PP, and some Sister of Mercy. This was originally called Hopefield, the home of Mr. Flora Anne Binns, who started a shirt-making business in Carndonagh. The house was eventually demolished to make way for Carndonagh Community School.
Loreto House, originally the home of John Norris Thompson, afterwards a parochial house, then a Garda barracks.
Work commencing on the new bridge.
Michael & John Doherty (G).
Pat Lynn tending to his vegetables in his garden down Gort Lane.
P. H. Doherty (G) in his greenhouse with Aidan.
Sergeant & Mrs. Meehan with their daughter Anna.
The newly constructed Technical School.
Another view of the newly opened Technical School, 1959.
A respectable gathering for the official turning of the sod, marking the commencement of construction of the new Technical School, completed in 1959.
The temporary bridge which was erected while the new bridge was being built.
A view of the bridge from the river path.
The Mc Laughlin Family (Hatter) at home.
Another view of the Gairm Scoil, or Technical College.
Margaret Harkin and Mamie Grant on the tennis courts attached to the Bridge House. The tennis court was at one time home to the Carn Tennis Club, but was eventually destroyed by the flood in 2017.
The bridge was known as Thompson's Bridge.
Floodwaters rushing under Thompson's Bridge.
1944. Fearing an invasion of enemy forces towards the end of the war, people flocked to join the volunteer forces in local communities around Ireland. Here we see volunteers for the army assembled on the grounds of what is now the Community School. Dan Oregon is the soldier to the left.
Along with men volunteering for the armed forces, many women volunteered as nurses, seen here in their pristine white uniforms standing on the site of what is now the community school (1944).
You must log in to post a comment.