This gallery features images from the townland of Tulnaree, on the eastern side of the town, including people at work in long-gone businesses such as the scutch mill, at home and socialising in Simpson’s Bar.
TulnareeAn Ordinance Survey map of the Tulnaree townland c. 1834.
Bridge at Tulnaree, 1983A photo of the bridge at Tulnaree from 1983, with a view of Simpson's shop and bar in the distance, with the old petrol pumps.
The bridge has been developed in recent years to include a footpath for pedestrians, while retaining the features of the old bridge.
Milltown Grain MillThe grain mill or flour mill at Milltown with four mill workers posing for the photograph in front of the mill wheel.
Workers at the Milltown Scutch Mill (1/3)Scutch Mill, Milltown, 1915.
When land was granted to a Planter, a prerequisite was the establishment of a mill and bawn. Hence we had many mills on all the approach roads to Carn. A cooperative creamery was established beside the scutch mill in 1910.
Standing L-R: Fre W. Anderson, Willie John McGahey, Jimmie Deery, Mickey Duffy, Pat Breslin, Owen Deery, Jim Houten (Hillhead), Lexie Ferri, James Davenport, Neil Doherty (the Butcher, Cloncha), Denis and Eddie Doherty (Mullier).
Sitting: Willie Doherty (M.P.), Owen McGuinness, Packie and Charlie Doherty (Mullier).
Milltown Scutch Mill WorkersA scutch mills processed flax in preparation for the production of linen (more info here). Flax was also used to thatch houses.
L-R: Willie Joe McGahey, Mr. Keily, Bob McGuinness, Nora Duffy, Unkown, Jimmy Deery, Teresa Duffy, Unkown, James Davenport, Pat McKeever, Mickey Duffy.
(Inset: Adam Ward).
Milltown Scutchers (3/3)Three scutchers at the Milltown Scutch Mill.
Scutch Mill, 1976The dilapidated ruins of the Scutch Mill, 1976. Scutching and the production of linen began to die out in the early 1950s.
Tulnaree menTommy Hirrell, Charlie Doherty (Mullier), Johnny Davenport.
Simpson's BarA number of gentlemen enjoying a drink in Simpson's Bar, Tulnaree, with proprietor Peggy Simpson behind the counter (possibly 1970s).
Craigtown RoadGeorge, Jimmy and Mary Mc Conalogue captured in a picturesque scene on the Craigtown Road.
The Mc ConaloguesMary, Frank, Nellie and Brigid Mc Conalogue.
Mr. Marchbank, local dentistMr. Marchbank - it was said he made the best dentures in Ireland!
The Marchbank Family, TulnareeMr. and Mrs. Marchbank with, from left, Violet, Connie, Alex, Daisy and Elsie at the entrance to their home.
Connie Henderson's DersserA photo of Connie Henderson's dresser with the finest delph on display.
Kitchens were typically quite basic - tables, chairs, a fire for cooking and warmth. The dresser was a different affair. A housewife could go to town with her dresser. The best crockery would be on display and probably never used, except for special occasions such as serving the priest at the Station mass.
People were very proud of their dressers. In Padraic Colum's poem 'An Old Woman of the Roads', the woman of the poem "A dresser filled with shining delph,
Speckled and white and blue and brown!"
At the turfJames Davenport with his turf slipe (sleigh-type of cart for transporting turf).
Milltown Mills AdAn advert which featured in the Inishowen Agricultural Society's 1933 Programme for 'The Milltown Mills'.
Blacksmiths AdAn ad for B. Lafferty and Son Blacksmiths at the Bridge, Carndonagh. Most towns and villages had a blacksmith, whose main job was shoeing horses and ponies, as well as crafting iron gates. The forge in Carn was on the town side of the bridge at Tulnaree. It was later turned into a cafe by James Long.
The Presbyterian Church, HillheadConstruction of the Presbyterian Church at Hillhead was completed in 1886. Hillhead is a joint charge with Malin Presbyterian Church.
The Presbyterian Manse, 1894A faded photo of the Carndonagh Manse, or the Presbyterian Manse, of Reverend Morrison, 1894. The manse was constructed around 1890, and is listed in the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage, which notes Despite the loss of original fenestration, this remains a fine property, of good scale and proportions, typical of its type and retaining a great deal of architectural integrity and form. The retention of its doorcase adds to its significance."