This gallery includes images of life on Chapel Street from the turn of the last century, and features shots of O’Callaghans general merchants store, children playing in the snow, Celia Canny’s shop, cars en route to a wedding outside the old chapel, and view of the street before and after both the Colgan Hall and the new church were built.
If you have any corrections, questions or comments to add, feel free to do so using the comment box at the end of the page.
Click any image for a pop-up image viewer.
Children play in a snow-covered Chapel Street, April 1917.
A Butler's Postcard depicting Chapel Street c. 1950.
Barney McEleney, wearing tradtional clogs, watching eggs being packed in crates outside Celia Canny's shop in Chapel St.
Jeremiah and Mrs. Callaghan with John, Willie and Jerry, outside the general merchants store, early 1900s.
Maigie Gubbin and Columba, 1914.
Jimmy Gubbin, a Chapel Street resident, c. 1940s.
A view of Chapel Street and the old Church, early 1900s.
Chapel Street residents.
Anna Meehan, Bridget McEleney, Mrs. Meehan, Paddy Barnett, Annie Diver, Mamie Gibbons, Mrs. Barnett, Teresa Doherty, Mary Doherty.
A group of gentlemen gathered outside the 'Refreshment Bar' on Chapel Street.
A plan of Chapel Street, 1900, with Horse Market Road now known as the New Road.
Thatched cottage, Chapel Street, 1982.
Another view of Chapel Street in the early 1900s, before the Colgan Hall had been built.
A wedding party with George Doherty (Saddler) in the first car, on Chapel Street, pre-1914 (source: Monreagh House).
George Clingan, Parochial caretaker.
Joe Gubbin (the Post).
Susan and James McDonagh of Chapel Street, c. 1920.