The Donagh Cross, also known as St. Patrick’s High Cross, sits today in its new location on Church Road. It is located on the grounds of a church founded by St Patrick for the Bishop of Clogher’s brother. It is considered one of the most important early-Christian remains in all of Britain and Ireland. This gallery includes images of the cross and guardstones in its original and new locations, and news paper clippings on the controversial decision to move it.
A photo of the Donagh Cross taken in 1882 by W. J. Doherty, in which the original details are clearly visible.
Photographed by a German photographer.
A sketch of the east face of the Donagh Cross, drawn from a photograph by W. J. Doherty, which clearly delineates the carved details.
A photo of the Donagh Cross in its original location in 1914, taken by William Alfred Green. The details on the cross are clearly visible, but much of the cross remained hidden underground until it was later repositioned.
Cardinal Mc Rory visited the Donagh Cross in the 1920s.
Can you identify any of the men visiting the Donagh Cross?
An old photo of the Cross and Guardstones in 1928.
Schoolboys chalked the markings of the Donagh Cross to make them more clearly visible.
An article from the Derry Journal on the protests at the Donagh Cross. Officials from the Board of Works planned to move it to Dublin for an exhibition in the RDS, but were thwarted by locals who feared the artefact would not return to its hometown.
Images of Office of Works officials working to remove the stone, and local protesters holding up signs which read 'Leave Us Our Cross' and 'Keep Our Cross in Donagh'.
Members of the Donegal Historical Society visited the Donagh Cross on their annual outing.
An article in the Derry Journal on the plans to relocate the Donagh Cross to a new site in the interests of preservation.
The Donagh Cross under the protective canopy in its new location.